Re: [orca-list] Whonix and Orca Error

Hello,

If orca is installed and you hear no speech, perhaps your sound volume is muted or speech dispatcher is not working.

To test if you have working sound, you can run

speaker-test

from the terminal. To exit press ctrl+c .

Then to test if espeak is working simply run

espeak-ng hello

finally to check if speech-dispatcher is working run

spd-say hello

If everything is working except of speech dispatcher, perhaps you will have to reconfigure speech-dispatcher audio output to use specific backend.

By default it's configured to use pulseaudio.

If you wish to change it to alsa, open a file /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf in your prefered text editor, look for line

# AudioOutputMethod "pulse"

uncomment it by removing the # sign at the begining and change pulse to alsa like this...

AudioOutputMethod "alsa"

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 2. 1. 2021 o 0:53 Reece O'Bryan napísal(a):
Hi,
I attempted the installation given by the developer and still did not have any luck. When Entering, “orca” on the command line  in terminal after the first instructions. This first gave an error of, ”no speech”, but then upon a reboot everything seems to be installed, yet no speech. Correct version is showing as installed. I can get the preferences working too.There is just no speech output. Ideas? My sighted friend giving me assistance had to leave before being able to enter the commands to check  the specific speech output, but this is the very first thing I will try when next starting up the virtual machine.
I’m starting to think of alternatively trying NSpeakUp and eSpeak-NSG with the command line version of Whonix. Is there anything in particular that could be an issue there?

Can I manually check that each dependencyCan I manually check that each dependency is installed and just install it if it is not? I know that this is what the developerI know that this is what the developer was attempting,

Thank you,

-Reece