Re: [orca-list] Update: Upgrading Speech Dispatcher broke my Orca

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 08:45:39AM -0500, Janina Sajka via orca-list wrote:
As of this morning, after a fresh Orca build from master, I still have
no speech dispatcher support with the same dbus error on both my
systems.

sad to heare. how you starting orca?

This was working a few days ago, so I'm a bit flumoxed. However, it
seems to be some kind of permissions problem with SD, e.g.

janina@concerto 08:33:58 ~$spd-say hello
Failed to connect to Speech Dispatcher:
Error: Can't connect to unix socket
/home/janina/.cache/speech-dispatcher/speechd.sock: Connection refused.

hmm. this isn't default location of sd socket.

Autospawn: Server successfully autospawned

janina@concerto 08:43:23 ~$ls -l
/home/janina/.cache/speech-dispatcher/speechd.sock
srwxrwx--- 1 janina janina 0 Dec 29 08:34
/home/janina/.cache/speech-dispatcher/speechd.sock

NOTE: I hear a pop from the relevant speaker which suggests to me that
pipewire/alsa is making the device available.

I recommend to check sd config files. and either update them or
roll back to factory state.

Best,

Janina

--