[orca-list] Login screen problem: inconsistent speech from Orca across reboots

Hi all,

I am running Pop!OS 21.10 on a laptop from system76.  The OS is based off Ubuntu and comes with  orca version 40 pre-installed. I'm experiencing a bit of an odd problem that I hope you can help me troubleshoot.

When the login screen appears, I can get speech from orca if it has not previously been enabled.  I can press super+alt+S and everything works as expected.  However, the next time I reboot my machine, I do not hear speech when logging in even though orca is enabled.  In order to get  orca working again, I must first disable it with the super+alt+S shortcut, then wait a few moments and press the same shortcut a second time to turn it on.  At that point speech works normally at the login prompt until I reboot again.

I am also experiencing a secondary issue, though it may be related to what I just outlined above.  If I do not have orca running at the login prompt, the screen reader starts up automatically after I enter my user credentials.  However, if I enable orca on the login screen and then reboot my machine, I have problems with speech both during login and after my session has fully loaded.  Orca is completely silent until I press the screen reader command twice to hear speech.

Please advise if any of you are experiencing similar quirks. Pop!OS is based on Ubuntu 21.10, so I'm thinking orca should behave in much the same way for  both systems.

Kind regards,

John