[orca-list] The correct way to install espeak-ng from source on debian based systems

Hello everyone,

As I told earlier, recently I learned how to compile and install orca/espeak-ng/speech-dispatcher on ubuntu/Debian based systems.

I have the question regarding the espeak-ng compilation.

I know that the espeak-ng that’s installed by default stores it’s data at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/espeak-ng-data.

After installing the compiled synthesizer from source, it puts it’s data at /usr/local/share/espeak-ng-data.

But espeak-ng continues to use an old data path.

How do I force the system to use a new data without a complete reinstall of orca, speech-dispatcher and espeak-ng?

I install espeak-ng using the command:

sudo make LIBDIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu install

But the data is not updated.

I can tell that by checking voices in orca preferences, speechplayer voices aren’t added.

I assume I could create a symlink of /usr/local/share/espeak-ng-data to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/espeak-ng-data

But I am not sure it is the right option.

So, how do I force the system to use a newly compiled data without a complete reinstall of speech-dispatcher, orca and espeak-ng?

Thank you for help!

--
Best regards,
Vsevolod