[orca-list] Why two web navigation toggles?

So, my question is pretty simple: Why do we need both a way to toggle structural navigation keys, and between browse and focus mode? Like, on Windows with NVDA, all I have to worry about is Insert + Space to toggle between browse and focus modes, which is confirmed by a quick sound whenever the modes automatically change. On Linux, navigating the web, to me, feels a little shaky, with needing to quickly press Insert + A, then Insert + Z, to make sure I'm in focus mode with structural navigation keys turned off before I can navigate Gmail's standard view, for example. BTW, Gmail works very quickly now in Chrome and Firefox, in Orca 40.0, so thanks so much for that. But the need to toggle focus and browse mode, *and* structural navigation separately, just means one more keystroke that I do *every* time I want to deal with using a web app. And while some don't care if browse mode is on, like Pinafore, with the Gmail web app, one can actually use the arrow keys to move to a column of data about messages, and then read down hearing only that column, like the subject or sender. So when structural navigation is on, one cannot do that.

So, really, is there a reason for having *two* things one must manage about using the web, rather than just one simple thing?
Devin Prater
gemini://tilde.pink/~devinprater/