[orca-list] Ubuntu Mate Use Questions

Hi all,

I am still getting used to Linux and have a few simple questions.

1. How can I select text by character, word or lineto copy?

2. Is there a need to use workspaces when not using the OS visually? I use alt tab to switch between open windows. There is only one scenario I can imagine we’re having multiple workspaces would be productive and that is running virtual machines. For example, the first workspace use with the host operating system, second workspace with a guest operating system and third workspace running yet another operating system.

3. Are there any tweaks that are accessible that help with navigation? Potentially something like app to dock.

4. I’m running stock Ubuntu Mate. Does anyone have suggestions as to things I could or should install or modify such as application launcher, file manager or application manager, etc.?

5. If I create a folder called, “Git” and cd into it to git clone many different apps, I only need to cd into the, “Git” parent directory to do a git pull to update them, right? Just making sure I don’t have to go into each individual folder and run the command to get the latest version. I wish I could add anything cloned from Git to APT and update with a, “apt-get update”, but that doesn’t seem possible.

Thanks everyone on the list for all of the great advice you have provided.

“ Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.”
~ Helen Keller