Re: [orca-list] Script to interact with Orca

Thinking about this more: What we really need is a notification API in ATK and AT-SPI2. Then Orca could start listening for special notifications and display them in speech and/or braille, just like it does for state changes, text changes, etc. This would also make it possible for Orca to offer -- and respect -- user settings so that they are in charge of their user experience. For instance, a user might/might not wish to hear a message from an app which is not focused. They might wish to completely opt out of messages from apps which are too "chatty." Etc.

So I've filed https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/orca/-/issues/199 which I've "blocked" until we have the API we need. That issue has links to the ATK and AT-SPI2 issues I've also just filed. I will be happy to implement support in Orca once that API exists. In the meantime, I hope one of the solutions below works for you.

--joanie