Re: [orca-list] Gnome Tweaks - Desktop Icons

I haven't used GNOME since  2014 or so, but at that time it worked as
you describe. I would guess it still reads the icons now. If it
doesn't, I'm certain you could file a bug report. I can see no reason
why it shouldn't work. I see packages here on my Arch system called
gnome-tweaks and gnome-tweak-tool. I'm not sure about Ubuntu, but you
should be able to choose one of those. In either case, it should have a
toggle to show a desktop, and the icons should be readable using Orca.
~Kyle