[orca-list] browsers behaving strangely

I suspect I've broken something.
At the moment firefox and both google-chrome-[stable|unstable] are
behaving oddly. As an example open
https://www.ipcc.ch/srocc/download/
I'm demonstrating with google-chrome-unstable
-- hit 1 to go to a major heading then either k or tab three times to
land on "full report"
at this stage I would normally hit kp-* (multiply) to open a menu to
download, perhaps kp-/ or maybe return. The responses aren't
completely predictable but the most common ones are either orca saying
"could not find current location" or no response at all. Similarly
kp-minus which would normally enter flat review isn't reporting the
fact and doesn't seem to be doing anything.
I run google-chrome with the following wrapper script:
#!/bin/sh
export ACCESSIBILITY_ENABLED=1
exec /usr/bin/google-chrome-unstable --force-renderer-accessibility --enable-caret-browsing "$@"

this is on ubuntu 18.04
with google-chrome-unstable/stable,now 87.0.4252.0-1 amd64 [installed]
and orca at commit
 43d3c83d31dcfea85df672afd7d60d30309d3352
I've dropped a debug.out at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dad0hvz8i0pcucf/debug-2020-09-10-22%3A16%3A44.out?dl=0
As I said, pretty sure I've broken something but pointers most
welcome.
cheers
Peter

Peter Rayner
Acting Director - Climate & Energy College <http://www.climatecollege.unimelb.edu.au>
Clean Air and Urban Landscapes NESP hub <http://www.nespurban.edu.au>
School of Earth Sciences, University of Melbourne, 3010, Vic, Australia
mobile +61 402 752 379, skype: petermorag
zoom id 4431343191, join at  <https://unimelb.zoom.us/j/4431343191?pwd=a1E5Z3JEOTRVQUJsaVdRbVUvR1QyZz09>
mail-to: prayner unimelb edu au TWITTER: @raynerstrings