Re: [orca-list] Reworked presentation of native word navigation

Hello Joanie,

I have just pulled the master and tested the changes. It works really
great, although I'll probably never understand why does Linux treat
punctuation as words, but when it already does so, reading it is the
correct behavior imo.

Thanks for this change. There is just one thing I would like to add. If
there are two lines, and the secondone begins with a word, when
navigating by words, blank line is spoken first on that place when
crossing from the first line and just after that, the word is announced.

Could be possibly something done about this? When I'm reading a text by
words, it slows down the reading, as I either have to listen to the
whole phrase, or pass it and return from another side to hear the word.

Thanks!

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 29. 10. 2020 o 17:16 Joanmarie Diggs napísal(a):
Hey all.

I just landed a change in Orca master which is designed to improve what
Orca says when you use native app navigation by word. In other words,
when you press Ctrl+Left/Right *and* Orca is not controlling the caret.
So that means Gedit/Pluma, Firefox and Chromium in focus mode, etc. The
changes should not impact browse mode nor LibreOffice.

The problem I was/am trying to address is what happens when you're
navigating by word around punctuation and other symbols. In those
instances, where the app moves you when you press Ctrl+Left/Right
doesn't match what ATK/AT-SPI2 reports for the word at your new
location. This mismatch can cause Orca to repeat some parts of the
"word" or not speak other parts. Hopefully that's better now in Orca
master.

Please give it a spin and let me know what you think.

Thanks!
--joanie