Re: [orca-list] Installing Orca master

Hello.

I've heard the first step isn't necessary. Perhaps sudo apt builtdeb orca helps and checking repositorie s isn't important. I've heard, checking repositories would be dangerous, but I don't have my own bad experiences with that. I've did it like you write if I years ago installed Orca master.

Thanks for explaining.

Best regards

Vojta.

Volodymyr Dorozhinsky via orca-list napsal(a):
Hi Brandt,

Here steps to get/build/install orca master in Ubuntu:

1. Enable the Canonical repositories.
* Open software updater.
* Click the Ubuntu tab.
* Check the box source repositories.
* Click the other software tab.
* Check the boxes next to Canonical partners and Canonical partners source repositories.
* Click close.
* When requested, click reload cache.

2. Open a terminal window, press Alt+Control+T.

3. Install git, type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.
sudo apt-get install git

4. Install build dependencies. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.
sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-orca

* Answer yes to the ‘do you want to continue?’ prompt.

5. Get the orca source code. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.
git clone https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/orca.git

6. Build and install orca.
!!WARNING!!
Follow the steps below exactly as typed. Doing something else will mess up your environment and cause file permission problems. * Change to your orca repository created in step 5. Type the following and press Enter:
cd orca

* Configure orca source. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.:
PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3.6 ./autogen.sh

* build orca. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.:
make

* Install the built binaries. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.: :
sudo make install

7. When install is complete, restart the system.

After you can keep up with Orca master by executing the following commands in a terminal:
* first change to the orca folder
cd orca
* look for uptdates
git pull