[orca-list] Buffering problem when reading character by character in Ubuntu 20.04

I just installed Ubuntu 20.04 in a virtual machine, and I’m having a problem I’ve seen before, namely  when I arrow around character by character, Orca only reads characters in pairs. In other words, I have to hit the right arrow key twice before I hear anything and then I hear the last two characters I arrowed over. I hope this makes sense.

I saw this once when I was testing Vinux and Luke was able to fix it, although I don’t know what he did to fix it. I also saw this when I added the parameter tsched=0 to the line “load-module module-udev-detect” in the file /etc/pulse/default.pa. I added this based on a suggestion from someone on one of the Linux lists I was on to remove that crackling that you get when you first start up Ubuntu. Adding this parameter introduced the behavior I described above, so I removed it. I checked the file default.pa to see if it now had this parameter from the get go, and it does not. Does anyone know what might be going on?

--

Christopher (AKA CJ)

Chaltain at Gmail