[orca-list] gnome-shell has gone quiet on me

Some time recently I seem to have lost accessibility in my window
manager. things like the command dialogue (alt-f2) or notification
(super-v) etc have stopped talking at all. It might have happened as I
got set up on a new machine late last year but so many other things
were wrong I didn't notice for a while. This is under ubuntu 18.04
using orca master. I tried this under three different session options,
ubuntu, mate and gnome with no difference. My colleague reckoned the
screen looked different so I presumably was getting an effect although
I did note it kept returning to the default each time I logged out and
in again. If it helps anybody guess what's going on here's an edited
list of environment variables
CLUTTER_IM_MODULE=xim
XDG_MENU_PREFIX=gnome-
LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
GDM_LANG=en_AU
DISPLAY=:0
INSIDE_EMACS=25.2.2,comint
XDG_VTNR=7
GIO_LAUNCHED_DESKTOP_FILE_PID=6789
MANDATORY_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/gnome.mandatory.path
_CE_M=
XDG_SESSION_ID=c6
XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/prayner
USER=prayner
DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome
QT4_IM_MODULE=xim
TEXTDOMAINDIR=/usr/share/locale/
DEFAULTS_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/gnome.default.path
TEXTDOMAIN=im-config
QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop
_CE_CONDA=
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=gnome
GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
ACCESSIBILITY_ENABLED=1
SHELL=/bin/bash
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
IM_CONFIG_PHASE=2
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME
GIO_LAUNCHED_DESKTOP_FILE=/usr/share/applications/org.gnome.Shell.desktop
XDG_SEAT=seat0
GDMSESSION=gnome
GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session2
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-gnome:/etc/xdg
GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus

Any pointers gratefully received
regards
Peter