Re: [orca-list] (General Linux) Ubuntu server accessibility

I am not sure its clear, there are 2 versions of Ubuntu, server and desktop. Ubuntu server does not include GUI apps. It boots into a character mode installer that does not have orca because orca is for the GUI. There is another screen reader, called speakup,  for the character interface. You can use speakup with a hardware synth in the Ubuntu server installer. I have not been able to get software speech to work in the Ubuntu server installer. I can't say it can't be done but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work.

There are at least 4 ways to do an accessible Ubuntu server install:

1. Use a hardware speech synth.

2. Use a braille display.

3. Use a terminal emulator on a serial port.

4. Ssh.

I am not sure there are any advantages to using the Server version of Ubunto on a server. At one time, when you compiled a kernel, you had to specify how many file handles you wanted, how many simultaneous users you wanted to allow. The kernel would take up more or less space in RAM depending upon your choices. But most of that stuff is configured at boot time these days.