Re: [orca-list] (General Linux) Ubuntu server accessibility

I was messing around quite a bit with Ubuntu server a few weeks ago. I was actually trying to set up an auto-install that I could do remotely. Ubuntu totally changed the auto-install system for 20.04/focal. You now have to create a cloud config file. But to do that, it seems like you have to do a regular install and save the config file the Ubuntu installer generates. Eventually I got to the point where I could create that config file by hand in a text editor but I had to do like a gazillion installs first to get sample config files to see how it worked.

Anyway, I discovered that I could do an install via ssh or by starting a hardware speech synth. I never got software speech to work. But after you boot into the installer, you can press alt+f4 to get a console and load the speakup module for a hardware speech synth. Then press alt+f1 to get back to the installer. I had more success with that than with ssh because while the installer is a character based program, its not line-oriented.

At some point I started to wonder if its even worth it. I cannot find any documentation of what the difference is between Ubuntu server and Ubuntu desktop these days. At one time, there was considerable difference between the way kernels were configured. But I don't think that is true any more. If I hadn't really, really wanted to set up this auto-installer system, I think I'd have said it wasn't worth it.

Eventually I was able to set it up so a server could PXE boot into the Ubuntu server installer, download the cloud config file, and do an install. So all I have to do is wipe the hard drive on the server so it does a PXE boot and it does a fresh install. Now I can do a re-install while working from home. Most of what you need to know to do this is documented, if somewhat poorly so, on the Ubuntu web site.