Re: [orca-list] issue with this site, more in subject body

Hi Majid.

I just took a look. The "combat" button and the "loot" button are keyboard accessible. Even without Orca, I can use Tab to move to them and Space to press them. The creators of the website didn't do that with the "Gather" button. Perhaps they can fix that, especially given that this is the "Screen Reader version" of this game and is presumably meant to be keyboard accessible.

Having said that, when you use Orca commands to move to the "Gather" button Orca announces it is "clickable" which tells you that you'll very likely need to use Orca's click command to click it. This works for me, though Orca does then say it cannot find the current location. That's presumably because clicking on the button causes it to be destroyed and replaced by a "Gathering" button. Improving Orca's ability to recover when the focused/active object gets destroyed is already on my todo list.

Getting back to your original question: I really don't think it's a good idea for Orca to take over core keys such Tab, Space, and Enter. The browser and the web application are in the best position to know what those keys should do, and if Orca were to take over those core keys, it is in danger of breaking basic functionality. I personally think the compromise is to provide a mechanism through which you can deal with this (e.g. by announcing "clickable" and providing a "click" command).

--joanie