Re: [orca-list] audio infrastructure for assistive software?

Hello Rich,

I couldn't find where to download Perkify on your website. is a
pre-version already available?

Now, let me be blunt in the hope to help.

I think you need to really use the a11y software and integrate them so
that Perkify can have a real added value. To provide an actually
accessible system, a good integration of the shipped software is a must.
In other words, just shipping a lot of software a11y related is not
enough: they should be configured to play well together. As an example,
even if Debian ships all that's needed wrt accessibility, as far as know
it is still not configured by default in such a way that you can keep
speech switching from a graphical environment to a console.

The right question about ALSA and PulseAudio is rather "how do I
configure them so that they play well together" rather than "which one
should be preferred."

Also, the process to get Perkify working looks to complicated to me as
it involves Perkify itself (indeed) as well as Vagrant and and a
pecific version of VirtualBox (which is not the best choice wrt a11y in
my opinion as the sound support is not in par with that of Qemu).

If I understand well Perkify is an Image for VirtuslBox, and is huge
(10G?) Here is what I suggest, technically speaking:
1. Provide an image of the installed system for Qemu, compressed.
2. Install in it a minimum system: just what is needed to be accessible
with Braille and speak and include the utilities and instructions needed
to download and install all other packages. Indeed downloading the
packages will take some time, but I think that's more acceptable than
downloading a very big image for people with a slow and possibly
unreliable Internet connection.
3. Provide instructions to install Qemu and a small shell script to set
up a VM with Perkify in it.

I have done something like that for Slint recently: the compressed image
weighs only 302M. This stuff is in:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/minislint/
cf.: the README there.

HTH and good luck,