Re: [orca-list] slightly off topic: orca, espeakup and ubuntu 19.10

Howdy

- I have been trying to get Speakup in the console to work, but am
running into a bit of an issue. The console speaks to me while logging
in, but then falls silent. Do i need to give some process extra
permissions?
- I am using Espeakup, I also hear a lot about speechd-up, is that the
preferred choice these days? Any docs on how to set this up properly?
:)

Fenrir runs quite nice with pulseaudio. also some initial configuration of pulse is needed. for that fenrir provides an script to setup.
maybe this helps on your speakup issue as well.
Fenrirs git:
https://github.com/chrys87/fenrir
Script:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/chrys87/fenrir/master/tools/configure_pulse.sh

Zitat von Florian Beijers via orca-list <orca-list gnome org>:

Hi all,

I have been away from desktop Linux for a long time and have a few
questions now I am diving back in. namely:

- When I was last involved with Ubuntu, it was during the Gnome 3
transition that made a lot of people ...not all that happy. I have
been keeping my ear to the ground to some degree and heard that Ubuntu
Mate is a good accessible option currently, so that is what i
installed on a VM. Was that a good choice?

- Around the same time, people really didn't like PulseAudio all that
much. Do they still not like PulseAudio all that much? :)
- I have been trying to get Speakup in the console to work, but am
running into a bit of an issue. The console speaks to me while logging
in, but then falls silent. Do i need to give some process extra
permissions?
- I am using Espeakup, I also hear a lot about speechd-up, is that the
preferred choice these days? Any docs on how to set this up properly?
:)

That's all I have for now :-) Thanks to anyone who can give me some direction :)