Re: [orca-list] How can I force Orca into focus mode?

Generally it's roles for items which are expected to have their own navigation and which Orca's caret navigation and/or structural navigation doesn't make sense. So:

* Combo boxes
* Entry and password fields
* List boxes
* Menus and menu items and their descendants
* Page tabs
* Progress bars and sliders
* Spin buttons
* Tool bars
* Trees, tree tables, and their items

Due to custom authoring, if it's editable or expandable, it's assumed to be a focus mode widget regardless of role. Ditto for buttons which have a popup.

Similarly, there are a handful of roles (embedded, list item, table cell, and table) where Orca has heuristics to try to determine if something is a text item or a widget.

Given that you mentioned canvas, I'm wondering if it's falling into the last hole.

Now your turn: What's your specific use case? Maybe Orca's doing something wrong, but without information from you I can't tell. :)

--joanie