Re: [orca-list] Accessible virtualization

I like VirtualBox because you can do everything at the command line. I haven't found anything in VirtualBox that you cannot do at the command line although sometimes you have to do a lot of googling to find it. A good example is changing the shortcut key. The default is Right-Alt I think. I changed it to scroll lock so long ago I'm not really sure. Its really nice having the VirtualBox key be scroll lock. Its not used for anything and its right next to the default orca key.

I wrote a bash script to allow me to quickly create a Windows 10 virtual machine. All I have to do is run this script and in about 10 minutes I have a brand new Win 10 virtual machine. It needs a Win 10 installation ISO and an answer file. I use it primarily to test the Win 10 answer file but I think it can serve as a good source for examples of how to use the VirtualBox command line programs.

https://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/pub/win10-64

As I said, I am providing the script as a source for examples of using the VirtualBox command line. But if you use it for real, it will prompt you for the virtual machine name, location of your Win 10 iso and answer file. You can force it to skip the prompts by setting environmental variables before running the script. For example:

export VMNAME=win10-64
export BootImage=~/Downloads/Windows10_398402.iso
export AnswerFile=~/Documents/autounattend.xml

If you don't supply an answer file, it will still boot from your Win 10 iso allowing you to do an install via Narrator. If you don't supply a Windows installation iso, it will try to PXE boot. If you do supply a Win 10 anser file, you'll need sudo access to run the script. That's because it creates a diskette image, mounts the diskette, writes the answer file to it, unmounts the image, and puts it into the virtual diskette drive in your virtual machine. Pretty slick but it does require sudo to mount and unmount the diskette image.