Re: [orca-list] VSCode now is using electron 7

Google for vscode insiders, download the latest build. I get the .tar.gz packages which just untar into a directory, but feel free to grab distro packages if you like.

Be sure to use the --force-renderer-accessibility flag. I wrote a script, which I'll include below, that does this for you. It's pretty simple but it helps. Edit accordingly, of course.

VSCode has good online documentation. I found this in particular helpful when I got started under Windows a while back:

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/getstarted/userinterface

The command pallet is useful. It's kind of like Emacs' command buffer, or whatever the area is called where you can manually enter commands. Access it via Ctrl-p or F1. This lists all commands, bound and unbound, with their keyboard shortcuts and an autocomplete search. I think there are other menus listing keyboard shortcuts but I don't know them off-hand.

You'll want to go into user settings and enable editor accessibility, since screen reader detection doesn't pick up Orca yet. I won't give detailed instructions because you requested basic, and I'm too lazy to do the legwork. But essentially you want to press Ctrl-, to access preferences, click the User button to be sure you're editing global user preferences, then tab around/navigate through the tree until you find accessibility settings. I think it may be in the common settings group, and searching may also work. Switch it from auto/autodetect to on.

Hope that helps. Here's my shell script, in ~/bin/code-insiders:

#!/bin/sh

exec ~/opt/VSCode-linux-x64/code-insiders --force-renderer-accessibility $@