Re: [orca-list] Questions

From what I've read about knoppix, it's intended to run on a flash
drive.  It can be put on a hard drive but that needs more work.

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020, Peter V?gner via orca-list wrote:

Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 02:42:01
From: Peter V?gner via orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
To: Orca-list <ORCA-LIST gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Questions

Resending to the list.

Knoppix is also interesting however I have never used it my-self.

Greetings

Peter

-------- Preposlan? spr?va --- Forwarded Message --------
Predmet:      Re: [orca-list] Questions
D?tum:        Thu, 17 Dec 2020 22:11:47 +0000
Od:   Mewtamer <mewtamer gmail com>
Pre:  Peter V?gner <pvagner pvagner tk>

If security is a priority, Knoppix might not be the best choice. It's
designed primarily as a Live environment, and while it can be
installed to a hard drive, it does lack some security features by
default that are desirable in an installed system but not really
missed when running from a DVD and restoring to factory config with
every reboot. For example, bit automatically logs you into the default
user, the default user has sudo privileges, and sudo doesn't prompt
for a password unless you set one. Also, by default, a stock Knoppix
disc will boot directly into a full desktop without accessibility, and
changing boot options at boot time isn't accessible. Making Knoppix
boot into it's accessiblity suite by default requires changing just
one line of a config file, but due to the limitations of the iso9660
file system, this means either mounting the iso, copying it's
contents, making the change, and rebuilding the iso, loading a
DVD-sized file into a hex editor to edit the iso directly, or making a
bootable USB stick and editing hte config file there.

I use a nearly stock Knoppix DVD as a LiveDVD and rescue environment,
making the change so it boots into it's accessiblity suite the main
change. Said Accessibility suite is called Adriane, and it presents a
text-only menu of common tasks narrated by the SBL command-line screen
reader as well as the option to drop down to the command line and the
option to launch a graphic environment with the choice between
luanching Firefox+Orca, LibreOffice+Orca, or a full desktop session
using LXDE+Orca. Also, best I can tell, Adriane-x, the script Adriane
uses to accomplish this, uses compiz by default, and while I don't
understand most of what that script does, I've found replacing the
call to compiz with another window manager generally works, so
technically, this is a hack... and an additional hack is needed to
allow the uninstallation of compiz without Apt(itude) trying to
uninstall adriane-x for unmet dependencies.

Also, another note about flwm: The keyboard shortcut for closing
windows in flwm is alt+delete, not alt+F4 like in many window
managers, and isn't configurable without building from source as far
as I know. I find this works well with the keyboard I use, as delete
is a corner key, and means there's less chance of accidentally closing
Firefox(and thus ending my graphical session) if I have a single tab
open and try to switch to tty4(the keystroke for switching from the
graphical session(which I usually run on tty1) to a tty not running a
graphical section is crtl+alt+Fn where n is the number of the tty, so
f4 for tty4, f2 for tty2, etc.).