Re: [orca-list] Tips and tricks for Orca and Firefox

While I'm familiar with tabulation as a fancy term for adding things
up, especially in the context of summing a bill of order, and
tabulator is easily parsed as someone who does tabulation or a machine
designed for doing so, it never occurred to me that the tab key might
refer to tabulation, and honestly, that connection doesn't really
explain the key's name origin... never gave it much thought, but one
has to wonder why it isn't called the indent key since that was the
key's primary function prior to the advent of webpages and the primary
function of the character it generates when used for text input
instead of application control.

That said, in the context of the original post where the word
tabulator was used, I figured it was some kind of browser extension
that didn't play well with Orca.

Speaking of the tab key, from the sounds of it, Object mode just puts
the functionality of tab and shift+tab on the down and up arrows
respectively, which actually sounds like a downgrade... granted, I'm
nominally left handed, so I'm completely comfortable shifting my left
hand to use tab and left shift for such things.

And yeah, the simplifications many mobile websites use to conserve
screen space on small screens have the added(though I suspect
unintentional in most cases) benefit of reducing the amount of cruft
one has to work around with a screen reader. Prior to Firefox 57
breaking all older browser extensions, I even had a user agent
switcher installed for forcing websites that ignore the www. or m. and
load the version that matches your user agent string to load in mobile
view as needed.

And speaking of extensions that broke with Firefox 57, NoScript
Classic was great for blocking rich web content that made some pages
less accessible while letting through scripts on pages where they
provided vital functionality instead of just screen reader hostile eye
candy. Sadly, the user agent switch I was using never got a quantum
remake and the quantum version of NoScript was much less accessible
than NoScript Classic last I check and I never found a decent
replacement for either... and using about:config to toggle
javascript.enable is way too imprecise.