[orca-list] Skywave Ubuntu can't get Orca Going

Hi All,
Hoping you can help me get this talking.
I downloaded a version of Ubuntu Mate with SDR software preinstalled, along with Internet radio stuff.
It looks like it should work well for the Nooelec SDR dongle I just got.
It's called Skywave Linux.
Anyway, I have not been able to get Orca or Speakup working on this reliably.
In the terminal I can get the audio test white noise, which I have had to do constantly to be sure I have a ready prompt.
I have tried installing everything I can think of without speech, in the terminal, like pulseaudio, speech-dispatcher, espeakup , and I even purged and reinstalled alsa-base pulseaudio.
At one point, I had espeakup talking, and then I installed gnome-orca and that sort of talked but when I tried to shut down, it would not shut down normally, like it froze, I couldn't tell without speech, so I had to do a hard shutdown and when I called it back up, it was like it was originally, I can do the speaker-test, but nothing else.
This is on the live image I burned to USB with a persistence file.
It's Ubuntu Mate 16.10 64 bit version.
Here's the site:
Hope someone has some ideas.
Thanks.