[orca-list] Installing Orca, some progress

I may have issues with speechd-up, as I have had errors from the mate packages regarding speechd-up.
But this is the latest, when I run:
orca -r -s
either from the F2 field, or in a terminal, Orca says
screenreader on
but then it goes silent.
And there is a strange hiss that accompanies Orca, and the hiss goes away when Orca quits, and Orca is really low in volume.
The hiss is similar to the speaker-test hiss, but that test is not running when I run Orca.
Thanks in advance for any  ideas.
Glenn