Re: [orca-list] ot adding additional mountpoints after installation

Jun 22 2019, Pavel Vlček via orca-list has written:

Hi,

at this time, I installed Ubuntu to my ssd. I have 2 other disks, which can I use now as a /home with the /home which Ubuntu created. Can I add the /home mountpoint to the /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 ext 4 partitions after installation?
Hey hey Pavel,
let me understand: your Ubuntu created a /home folder for you? Do9 you
want or need to use anything from that?

You have two other disks/partitions (on /dev/sda and /dev/sdb), were
they /home in a former system?

You can't mount two partitions in the same mount point. But, you can
easily mount one disk as /home and another as /home/other_name (a folder
within /home).
If you don't need anything Ubuntu installed in /home, you can simply
delete everything in /home and mount your old home partition. You can
edit /etcv/fstab, with a line like this:
/dev/sda1       /home   ext4    defaults,noatime,commit=60      0,1
Instead on /dev/sda1 you can find out the UUID of your partition and use
that, it would look like:
UUID="e921fd44-745b-423d-ad5a-87d5fa32678d"
You find a partitions UUID with:
blkid /dev/sda1
This command will give you the label, UUID, partition type and partuuid.
No idea what the last is for, I never use it. :)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

 * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c