Re: [orca-list] electron apps/visual studio code

My understanding of Orca master's Chromium accessibility is that, to the extent that it may or may not function, it is tied to either unreleased or development Chromium builds.

My understanding of Electron is that their releases are timed to ship with specific stable milestones of Chromium, with M76 support scheduled to arrive tomorrow for whatever that may be worth:

http://electronjs.org/blog/12-week-cadence

So there are a couple variables. First is Electron native support for a stable version of Chromium with accessibility, which I don't think exists yet. Next are all the Electron apps you'd want to use, which need to update to a version of Electron with whatever minimum version of Chromium is accessible. Since I don't think we have a minimum stable accessible Chromium, #1 hasn't even arrived, and since there hasn't been an Electron release with a recent version of Chromium, #2 definitely hasn't.

So in short, I'm no expert, but I strongly suggest the answer is no. Electron apps aren't yet accessible, and we'd be looking at a few more months after a stable Chromium lands before they even have the option of upgrading to a potentially accessible Electron. And having the option doesn't necessarily mean they'll take it, though at that point we'd at least have the opportunity to upgrade any open source apps ourselves.

Sorry. Looking forward to accessible VSCode myself.