Re: [orca-list] Symbol names always sent as English strings

Hello,

Kyle, le dim. 27 janv. 2019 17:01:44 -0500, a ecrit:
For example, if I type a * (star) character, and my speech-dispatcher
character is set to pt-br, the Portuguese speech pronounces the
character as "istar" instead of "asterisko,"

You mean, when using Orca?

When I try

spd-say -o espeak-ng -l pt-br '*'

I do hear "asterisco"

So speech-dispatcher itself seems to be working fine, and I guess it's
Orca which is providing the "star" pronunciation.

I see this in orca/po/pt_BR.po:

#. Translators: this is the spoken word for the character '*' (U+002a)
#.
#: ../src/orca/chnames.py:89
msgid "star"
msgstr "asterisco"

so it seems that Orca itself has a pronunciation entry for it, and
perhaps it is just not properly selecting the pt-br translation. Is the
Orca preference interface in English or pt-br?

It doesn't seem like something we can fix in speech-dispatcher at least.

Samuel