Re: [orca-list] my issue with rhythmbox

Well, I jumped off the windows     trainwreck ltd in mid 2010, and 1 of the first programs I started using was rhythmbox as it came on the distro I was using as my primary OS then by default. This was Vinux3.0 for those who care...

Anyway, I've tried quite a few media players over the years since then, some that are rather limited in functionality, both actual and intended, and others that do, or at least try to do just about everything. Rhythmbox has a good set of features and functions when it comes to audio playback, streaming, etc;and goodies can be added via plug-ins. Sadly from day 1 right up to the last time I fired it up it has been both at least a little sluggish, and sometimes controls did not respond. Add the not always intuitive to me interface and or tricky to get to using orca controls and I have pretty much given up on rhythmbox as a first line program.

I guess I've installed it on around half of the machine/distro/release/instances I've had my grubby paws on over the years, but I mostly have it there either to test drive its latest version with current orca, or as a backup in case something goes badly wrong with my trusted/go-to mediaplayers, podcatchers and taggers.

Perhaps some things can be done to improve performance adding some scripts to orca or something like that, but I think unless the rhythmbox devs get involved and put usability with orca high up on their to do list that most of us are better off using other programs.