Re: [orca-list] A quick Dropbox question

You need to install whatever pkg your distro uses to get a systray applet or indicator if that's not part of the main dropbox pkg you installed.

Last I checked you can not  however change folder location accessibly, but years ago this worked fine using orca review keys, i.e. numpad, for some  if not almost everything.

From the commandline you can just make a symlink to the location you prefer, e.g move your Dropbox folder to the external drive, link to it and then connect the computer to dropbox.

If you already are linked  up, remove access to the machine in question, stop dropbox, move the Dropbox folder to the new location, make the link and then reconnect by starting the dropbox program as you did when you first installed it.

To link from the CLI, just navigate to your home folder, i.e. cd ~, and ln -s /external-drive-mountpoint/Dropbox should do the trick.

Of course put in any extra path as needed to get to where you put your dropbox folder.

Also make sure everything was synced up and down before you do the access removal, and make sure the computer you are working on has time as correct as you can get it.

Even I think this should work fine in the vast majority of cases if not all as long as time is synced accurately, but if you have a good internet connection best way to do it is just create an empty dropbox folder on the external drive  after you turn off and deny access, make the link to it, and then do a new headless installation which of course will include connecting the box you are working on again.

Remember, you have to use a GUI browser to give access to the computer whether for the first time or after removing access. This browser can be on any device however, so you can install dropbox on machines with no GUI. I did prefer not  having the symlink show up in  my home dir, but last I checked there was no accessible way to do this/will look again in a few days when I do an installation from scratch on this machine.