Re: [orca-list] Fwd: Likely bug with Office Writer, was: Re: More on submitting Orca bugs

Gawod! Dang! OK, my head hurts just thinking! about that.

Enough said.

Chris.

On 02/15/2019 09:03 PM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hey all.

Seeing more discussion about what is happening when you shift+down arrow
in Writer, I'm forwarding something I sent to Christopher. Because it's
top posted I'll first quote his question. Then my response follows.

Christopher's question:

So, would I be correct in assuming that if I didn't bullet a list, but instead I wrote two lines of text:

yellow
green

If I right arrow on the first line to the first l in yellow, then shift down arrowed, I'd actually select l l
o w, but because it jumps down the cursor selecting everything before on the next line up to immediately
below where the cursor was on the first l, what we'd actually have would be l l o w selected, but then also,
on the next line, g r e would also be selected as well?
My response:

What you describe is what takes place if the Y in yellow is capitalized
and the g in green is not. And by default, if you type "yellow" (with an
initial lowercase "y") and then press return it becomes capitalized. So
my guess based on what I'm seeing and what you reported is that you have
a capital Y but a lowercase g.

But if you go back, ensure the "y" is lowercase, and repeat the same
steps, g r gets selected; not g r e. This appears to be due to a capital
Y being wider than a lowercase y.

A capital Y followed by a lowercase e occupies about the same width as
lowercase g r e. A capital Y followed by a lowercase e also occupies
about the same width as capital G followed by lowercase r.

If you type Weird (with a capital w) on one line, press return and type
a bunch of lowercase letter i, when you move past the W and press
Shift+Down, you wind up selecting the first three i's.

Long way of saying what you've probably already concluded: Seems to be
based on coordinates/pixels and not character offsets. And, again, this
is all without Orca running.

HTH.
--joanie