Re: [orca-list] Migrating Orca Settings: Is this method a smart move?

Hello,

All the settings you can tweak in the screen reader preferences window are saved into a file

~/.local/share/orca/user-settings.conf

This is a text file with json data  inside. I think there are no paths and machine specific data by quickly skimming over that file.

I assume you can just move it from one user to another or from one machine to another.

Don't forget to tweak permissions correctly to make sure the target user is owning the files copied to a new destination.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 11. 2. 2019 o 15:01 Christopher Gilland via orca-list napísal(a):
I'm not sure if this would be risky or not, so figured I'd ask before doing something incredibly stupid on my part.

I have two Linux computers. Both are running Ubuntu Mate, although one is on 18.04, the other's on 18.10.

Both are runnning the latest Master of Orca. I think it's either 3.30.90, or 3.31.90 Pre. Sorry. Don't have a terminal window up in front of me where I can look. I'm guessing the ladder.

I'm aware that all your Orca settings are found within your home directory under:

~/.local/share/orca

This said, If I was to take the settings from my 18.04 system, by copying that directory, then pasting it in the exact same path on my 18.10 Mate system, then restart Orca with Alt+Super+S to turn it off, then hit it again a second time to turn it bak on, would that work, thereby saving me some time from having to manually go reconfigure everything, or will doing this totally break Orca?

If this will break things, then, is there a more caucious way of doing this, short of manually configuring everything again by hand on each individual system I set up?

I could see it breaking if not on the same distro, or desktop environment, or if the 2 builds of Orca were not identically the same, but in this case, they are so. So, just wanted to check. It's the whole, I'm thinking, in theory this should work, but in actuality? I'd rather check first.

Chris.