Re: [orca-list] Installing Skype on Ubuntu

AFAIK, and I've not double checked this for a few months...

Skype uses an Electron wrapper which means it isn't compatible with Orca at all. MS know about this and the pleas on their forums fall on deaf ears, so to speak. Or, they just ignore it.

It's a known issue with all Electron apps as well

That being said....you can use web skype at web.skype.com if you want to use Skype, either use Chrome, or in Firefox set your useragent string to Chrome.

I don't have the exact things you need to copy/paste in to hand right now but I can attest the useragent switching trick for web skype works.

But if ya don't wanna go through the hassle of switching a user agent, just grab Chrome+ChromeVox or Chromium+Chromevox running with --enable-speech-dispatcher after the chromium command.

Yeah it sucks but it's MS's program and they can do whatever they like to it. That being said, Milosh there are other alternatives to Skype out there that are much better for Orca friendliness than Skyp. I've a list somewhere on my machine i can dig out if anyone's interestedfully acc

Jace