Re: [orca-list] formatting a flash drive

Gawod! Is there not another less clunky way a doing this within the Mate
graphic interface UI?

-----Original Message-----
From: Willem van der Walt <wvdwalt csir co za>
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2018 1:29 AM
To: Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07 gmail com>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] formatting a flash drive

To really clean a drive, a flash drive or hard disk, do:
1.  Go to a terminal and become root, I.E.
sudo su
Then do fdisk -l to see the device name of the drive you want to clean.
It would likely be /dev/sdb, but could be different.
2. Write binary zeros to the drive, using /dev/sdb as the device from now
on as example.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=10M
This will take a while depending on the drive speed and size.
3.  Use fdisk /dev/sdb or parted /dev/sdb to create a partition on the
drive. fdisk /dev/sdb then enter.
n and enter for new partition, p for primary partition, enter for default
start, then enter for default end.
Change its type as by default it would be a linux partition.
t, then 7 for ntfs.  Write the partition with w.
4.  Now use mkntfs /dev/sdb1 to create an ntfs file system on the
partition.

If you simply want to format a partition as ntfs, you can simply just run
the mkntfs on the partition which is already there.
HTH, Willem

  On Thu, 31 May
2018, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:

I understand that I could technically just delete all files on the drive,
then rename the drives volume label to something different, but if I really
wish to do the equivalent of a Drive format, how do I do this using Ubuntu
mate 18.04?

Chris.

Sent from my iPhone