[orca-list] problem with orca, LO-writer and speech-dispatcher

I'm getting a strange artifact with the abovementioned combination on
ubuntu 16.04. When arrowing down a line I will often get silence or
often the phrase "speak" <text of line> /speak.
That looks suspiciously like some tags are getting misplaced into the
speech stream. I'm using speech-dispatcher as the speech system and
ibmtts with British English as the voice.
I realise this won't be enough information to debug
this yet so would welcome pointers for how to dig further.
thanks in advance
Peter

--
Peter Rayner