Re: [orca-list] bug in latest antergos release prevents orca from speaking

One thing slint did was to compile speech-dispatcher without pulseaudio and with alsa along with a few other things in the build path. The archlinux build of speech-dispatcher built it with pulseaudio and that could be part of your problem.

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018, kendell clark wrote:

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 04:15:13
From: kendell clark <coffeekingms gmail com>
To: "orca-list gnome org" <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: [orca-list] bug in latest antergos release prevents orca from
    speaking

Hi all
I  got an ultrabook for Christmas, a vizio ct14. It?s a great machine and all that, and I dual boot antergos
18.1 and windows 10. The iso image of 18.1 ships with gnome 3.26 and speaks with orca when launched. However
when installed, even with the accessibility packages turned on, orca fails to speak. I believe, but cannot
prove, that this is a speech-dispatcher bug. This is with mate 1.18, orca 3.26 stable and the latest stable
version of speech-dispatcher. I can?t provide any error logs right now, but if joanie wants I can provide a
debug log, although I?ll have to reinstall antergos since I removed it when it wouldn?t speak. Sorry I?m not
able to provide more information, all I have right now is that orca doesn?t speak, but ?espeak ?hi?? speaks,
so I know the sound works. Trying numerous times to restart orca with ?orca -r? and ?killall orca
speech-dispatcher? followed by ?orca -r?, and as a last resort, ?rm -rf ~/.local/share/orca ~/.config/pulse?
followed by ?orca -r?,
 nothing
 works. I?ve alerted antergos on twitter but I?m not sure if they?ll do anything about it.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

sent from my ultrabook