[orca-list] Got ubuntu mate up and running on desktop PC - couple of questions

Ok, got hold of a display, and, got a sighted person to help me initiate ubuntu mate installation, since it didn't seem to want to launch orca during that initial part of process.

Either way, it's now up and running, and, seems to have basic software installed, but, couple of questions.

Would you recommend using software boutique under administrative tools to try find/install software, or are there better ways to find, and install software packages?

Ask since, while could use apt-get from terminal, I would then need to know all package names, and, I would prefer to browse something like a list of accessible/preferred software packages, and install them directly from there, or something.

Secondly, when working with firefox - is that the recommended browser? - how do I toggle browse and focus modes? Ask since didn't find any keystroke like that in the list of firefox key commands, and, it seems to switch into focus mode immediately after loading a web page, whether focused on a form element, or not.  Also, while standard keystroke on other platforms to focus on address bar would be alt + D, here it mentions something about landmark elements/regions if I hit that keystroke - yes, know D key is meant to jump between aria regions/landmarks, but, would expect alt key combination to override that handling of the letter D?

Besides that, what other basic software packages would you guys recommend, and, for example, how do I launch a basic file explorer package, or would I first need to install one, and, if so, what's the easiest way to place something like an app icon on the desktop, and, how do I switch focus to the desktop without having to first close all open windows?

Lastly, sorry if sound too much like a windows user...LOL!

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA