[orca-list] More information on MATE or GNOME for Debian

Hi everyone

Thanks to everyone so far who has advised on this issue. Let me try to provide a little more info.

I am running Debian Stretch (9.0.3 I think) in a VM under VirtualBox on Windows 10. I do not have a Braille Display so am using Speakup via the 'S' command on the Debian Installer (Network installer I have installed both Debian Standard Desktop Environment and MATE using this method, replacing one with hte other.

While niehter GUI provides speech feedback, installing MATE offers speech in the TTY. By contrast installing Debian Standard Desktop Environment offers a talking bootloader (very impressive) but no speech anywhere else.

Thank you

Best wishes

James