Re: [orca-list] GNOME or MATE Desktop for Debian?

Hello James

You should not have to disable pulseaudio, let alone remove it.

To investigate try this:
In text mode type:
ps -ef | grep pulse

The output will tell you if pulseaudio is already running.

Then start MATE (in Slint it would be typing startx, I don't know if that works in Debian too)

If you don't hear orca's greeting "Screen reader on", maybe it's not started.
Type Ctrl+F2 to bring up a graphical dialog  "Run...." then type (even if you hear nothing):
orca -r
Hopefully this will start or restart orca.

Else, to knbiw if orca is started switch to another console like tty2 pressing:
Ctrl+Alt+F2
and type:
ps -ef | grep orca

You should then be able to go back to MATE with:
Ctrl+Alt+F7

Caveat1: this is how I would investigate in Slint, please people knowing Debian correct me as need be.
Caveat2: in Slint we don't use pulse but alsa as audio method, so really, wait for a Debianer's answer.

Greetings,

Didier