[orca-list] Trying to optimize speech rate without a hardware synthesizer

Hi folks,

                I am a new Orca user.  My prior experience was with Speakup, which worked well using just my laptop sound card to provide synthesized speech.  With Orca, using just my sound card for speech synthesis, there is a significant lag time between depression of a key and hearing Orca speak the key.  I found the following information on the Gnome/Orca intro page:

◾ Type orca, along with any optional parameters, in a terminal window or within the Run dialog and then press Return.

Load-Time Options

The following options can be specified when launching Orca in a terminal window or within the Run dialog:

◾-h, --help: Show the help message

◾ -v, --version: Show the version of Orca

◾ -s, --setup: Set up user preferences

◾ -u, --user-prefs=dirname: Use dirname as the alternate directory for user preferences

◾ -e, --enable=option: Force use of option, where the option can be one of the following:

◾speech

◾braille

◾braille-monitor

Here is where it gets tricky: I have tried – after first disabling Orca – invoking the –e option, with speech typed, in at least 2 ways:

First way:

Orca –e

Speech

Second way:

Orca –enable=speech

These 2 different attempts were made from the terminal with 1) orca toggled off (caps lock-s-alt) and 2) via a killall on orca.  Neither worked.  That is, speech never returned.  Any advice?  Thanks.

-Daniel