Re: [orca-list] Introduction: New User and Query regarding Getting started with linux

Hi Akash,

I suggest trying Slint that I maintain, cf. this post:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2017-December/msg00148.html
And more recently this one:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2018-February/msg00017.html

The installer in the ISO has speech and braille enabled by default.
All packages are installed at once, including all tools needed to
program and compile.

I bet you will find installation easy, the only thing that could be
a little tricky for a beginner is partitioning the disk using the
cfdisk utility, but you can use some tool to do that before
installing, like using Gparted live.

You will need only a main partition with a "Linux" partition type
(install an ext4 file system in it if you use gparted, else the
installer can do it), and if you need it a Linux swap partition.
The the installer will find these partitions and propose to set
them.

If your machine is set to boot in EFI mode you will need also
a small partition (100M) of type EFY System.

Provided that you installed with speech, after reboot you will have
speech to log in.

During installation you choose to work in a graphical or text environment
and this easily changed later, as described in:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/ACCESSIBILITY

speech and braille are available in graphical environments.
Several are shipped in Slint, I suggest to use MATE, which is
probably the more accessible.

Hope this helps.

Didier

PS be honest we don't have as many packages as Debian and derivatives.

But some can be added from trusted repositories like Chromium, other
packaged locally using build scripts easy to get.