Re: [orca-list] issues with orca and interactive fiction interpreters

I wonder, could fenrir -e take input from tesseract which takes input from gargoyle? Since tesseract is supposed to do ocr, perhaps fenrir will then work better.

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018, chrys wrote:

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 16:32:33
From: chrys <chrys linux-a11y org>
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] issues with orca and interactive fiction interpreters

Howdy Kendell,

 console one, called frotz, although it can't seem to keep up with the
 text very well.

maybe this is not a orca related solution for your problem but fenrir does work with that quite well. just reading incomming events instead of repeat the screen over and over. you can use the terminal emulation (so you can make fenrir run in an terminal emulator) with
fenrir -e
it starts a shell under control of fenrir.
 It doesn't work at all with the graphical one, called
 gargoyl, which supports not only text only games but games with sound
 and graphics as well.
this seems to be a custom widget or something like that. maybe there is a interactive mode where you can use your normal terminal with that application? another idea what would work with text based stuff is OCRdesktop. just tested. works quite well (also if it is not as comfortable as it can be).

another idea, i did a quick look into the code. it seems to have some kind of TTS support (not sure how to activate or how well it works) see at the end of https://github.com/garglk/garglk/blob/master/garglk/config.c
it contains the following:
??? gli_initialize_tts();
??? if (gli_conf_speak)
??????? gli_conf_quotes = 0;

i also see a section about that in
/etc/garglk.ini
in linux it seems to use speech-dispatcher as i can follow the comments.

not sure if anything useful for you. just my 2 cents...
cheers chrys