[orca-list] orca modifier key becoming sticky

Under circumstances I can't predict the orca  modifier key will become
sticky. e.g. pressing "s" will disable speech, just as kp-insert s
will normally do. backspace will enable bypass mode "t" will insert
the time. Keys that don't have an orca-modifier action mapped to them
will insert as normal. Killing and restarting orca doesn't fix this
suggesting it's buried somewhere deeper in gnome. I'm running ubuntu
16.04 which implies gnome 3.14.
Anyone else seen this?
Please reply directly as well as to the list
thanks
Peter

--
Peter Rayner