Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Thanks, Peter. I will play around with your suggestions sometime soon.
For now I just want to acknowledge your email and thank you for taking
the time to provide concrete suggestions.

Part of the problem with trying out new things on a machine with 4-5
audio cards, is that there's a reason for putting so many cards on one
system in the first place. They're doing very specific things for me,
and it's a bit hard to find the time to put all that at risk while
trying out something new. But, I will get there sometime before year's
end, and I will happily rely on your good advice when I do that.

Thanks again. To be continued!

Best,

Janina

Peter Vágner writes:
Hello Janina,

By default pulseaudio is configured through its main configuration file at
/etc/pulse/default.pa to dynamically load all the modules corresponding
with your hardware taking over all the available sound devices.
If you only would like to configure it to load concrete driver modules for
a few devices you would like it to hijack you can create your user specific
~/.config/pulse/default.pa commenting out parts which are controlling the
autodetection and manually loading those driver modules and those feature
specific modules you do care about.
The file /etc/pulse/default.pa contains usefull examples with some comments
alongside them so I think you will realize how the puzzle will stick
together when you combine it with the knowledge on alsa device ordering you
have explained to us a few months ago.
For example you might like to comment out this...
### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect
.else
### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev
support)
load-module module-detect
.endif
and you might like to uncomment and modify this instead
### Load audio drivers statically
### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
And depending on what you are trying to do you may also like to optionally
uncomment
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink

By learning this and making pulse work for you, combining it with its
ability to be controlled via pacmd cli utility pulseaudio might become your
new Mackie if you will have problems finding a device featuring classic
radio style controls and knobs.
I am occassionally thinking about your sound setup as you have described it
a few months ago and this is definatelly one of the directions you should
try exploring.
I have always wanted to point it out gently so you might like to consider
something like this however I was not sure you will like it so depending on
my current mood I was putting it aside all the time.
Now you have shown your interest in this direction so I've changed my mind
a bit.
I don't have much more experiences with setting up a sound system, however
I do like pulseaudio so if you are happy to talk with someone else who is
thinking from the other end to yours please just ask. I think we may have
fun trying out new ways on how to make it work.

Greetings

Peter

Chrys:

I've kept your message from August around because I've found it useful.
Thank you.

Quick question: Do you know of a cli way of telling pulse to ignore
certain cards and use certain others instead? For instance, how can I tell
pulse to
limit itself to cards 2 and 3, and leave 0, 1 and 4 alone?

Thanks,

Janina

chrys writes:
Howdy,

you can get all your soundcards with
pactl list short sinks
or more detailed with:
pacmd list-sinks

to set a new default device use:
pacmd set-default-sink <Index>
the index is the number on the beginning of the line of pactl list short
sinks

if the wrong soundcard is set you can run those commans via SSH.
it remembers the default but if you dont trust and want to be sure that a
special device is set you can place it as start script

i also wrote a small script and bound it to an bash and gnome shortcut to
cycle between all soundcards (maybe its useful for you or others)
---- script start ------
#!/bin/bash

sinks=(`pacmd list-sinks | sed -n -e
's/\**[[:space:]]index:[[:space:]]\([[:digit:]]\)/\1/p'`)
sinks_count=${#sinks[@]}
active_sink_index=`pacmd list-sinks | sed -n -e
's/\*[[:space:]]index:[[:space:]]\([[:digit:]]\)/\1/p'`
newSink=${sinks[0]}
ord=0

while [ $ord -lt $sinks_count ];
do
    echo ${sinks[$ord]}
    if [ ${sinks[$ord]} -gt $active_sink_index ] ; then
        newSink=${sinks[$ord]}
        break
    fi
    let ord++
done

# move current running streams to the new device
pactl list short sink-inputs|while read stream; do
    streamId=$(echo $stream|cut '-d ' -f1)
    echo "moving stream $streamId"
    pactl move-sink-input "$streamId" "$newSink"
done
pacmd set-default-sink "$newSink"
--- script end----