Re: [orca-list] Linux full-time

Howdy,
I have used Linux full time since November 2007. I tend to be mostly a console user. I guess every OS has
problems, and accessibility limitations, however, one of Linux's strong points is there are usually a ton of
ways to accomplish a task.
If, for example, Orca doesn't behave correctly with a website, you could try the same site with elinks and
Fenrir, assuming that there's not javascript stuff you need to use. Also, Joanie is one of our greatest assets,
if  a site doesn't work well  with Orca, simply tell her, and *poof* the problems will disappear like magic
>:)}. But, moving further along the multiple ways line of thought, let's say both Orca with Firefox fails,
and Fenrir with elinks, or your CLI browser of choice fails, then you can try Emacspeak. If you can figure out
how to use it that is lol. And, if those fail, then try chromium with chromevox.
That's just for website accessibility. For anything else, there that many ways to accomplish what you want or
more. There are tons of desktops, tons of file managers, window managers, etc. I tend to not even use a
desktop at this point. I use a window manager called Ratpoison, it makes X, and GUI application more screen
like. Screen is a console application that allows you to run unlimited number of  windows inside the same
console.
For email, there's thunderbird, or seamonkey (same thing pretty much), but there's also mutt or alpine. And
soon, there may be others like balsa and geary that just need a few accessibility fixes.
So, basically, the point of all this is; where there's a will, there's a way. One very valuable resource you
may be intersted in is the #a11y room on irc.netwirc.tk. There are several ways you can connect to that as
well, including pidgin instant messenger for the GUI, or my favorite irssi for the console. Note the spelling
of netwirc.tk. Several full time Linux users are there pretty much all the time, and can assist you with any
problems you may have.
HTH
Storm
On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 06:40:52PM -0400, Andy B. wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone here use linux full-time? If so, what are your experiences with
it?