Re: [orca-list] Want to experiment with Mate]

Howdy,
I originally sent this but mispelled the email address. Not enough coffee yet apparently lol.
----- Forwarded message from Storm Dragon <stormdragon2976 gmail com> -----

Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 06:59:42 -0400
From: Storm Dragon <stormdragon2976 gmail com>
To: Alex ARNAUD <alexarnaud hypra fr>, orca-list gnomre org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Want to experiment with Mate

Howdy,
To get mate working accesibly, You could either use startx to get it running, or use the slim display
manager. I prefer using slim, because startx floods the console with a ton of information, and you would need
to remember to silence fenrir or speakup before starting it.
pacman -S slim
Edit /etc/slim.conf and change default user from simone to your login name. Remember to uncomment the line so
the setting will actually work.
Uncomment the autologin line and change no to yes. Save the changes.
In your home directory, create the .xinitrc file and paste the following lines into it:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
  [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
done
unset f
fi
#accessibility for original load
export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
export GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY=1
export QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1

exec mate-session

If you don't want to copy/paste, you can get the file from my website:
curl https://stormdragon.tk/scripts/vm-files/xinitrc > ~/.xinitrc
This will overwrite any existing file at ~/.xinitrc.
make the file executable:
chmod 755 ~/.xinitrc
You can the start it by typing:
sudo systemctl start slim
Orca may not come up when you first start it. So, just wate a few seconds, maybe 30 at most, and then press
alt+f2 and type orca then hit enter. It  should start talking.
You may want to set the exit orca key in the unbound keys part of the keybindings tab in Orca Preferences.
HTH and let me know if you have any questions.
Storm
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:44:41AM +0200, Alex ARNAUD wrote:
Le 13/05/2017 à 10:41, Arkadiusz a écrit :
> Hello,

Hello Arkadiusz

You just need to install Debian with speech or braille and after reboot everything will work out-of-the-box. For configuration details you could take a look at the wiki : https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility

> 2. If it will not be for me, can I safely remove it?I am using Arch.

I don't know Arch Linux, sorry. I use only Debian because it fits my needs.

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager