[orca-list] still haveing problems with gedit

I am having a problem with orca and gedit on ubuntu,. It's happening on bothubuntu xenial and yakkety. If I press either shift key, it just repeats "right shift" or "left shift" from then on no matter which key I press. I can make it stop by switching the focus away from the current text window and then back. Also, this only happens in gnome, not unity. I am using the stock version of gedit and gnome-orca in ubuntu. In ubuntu 16.04 these are gedit 3.18.3 and orca 3.18.2.

I believe this is probably related to some extra package I'm installing. The problem happens only on machines that use the auto-installer package, fai. So what that package does is install debian/ubuntu and a list of packages you supply. I have it installing like a million packages because I'm configuring machines for my whole department. Any guesses what so ever as to which package to blame it on? Is there some utility that mightbe be layered on top of gedit that could be interfering with orca?

I know this is a long shot but I'll take any suggestions for what to try. I have to support ubuntu for my job and this is making it very difficult.

--
John G. Heim; jheim math wisc edu; sip://jheim sip linphone org