Re: [orca-list] Orca and console text editors

Interesting, I don't have cursor-tracking issues in vim that I know of. Sometimes I get excess spoken text, which I think is more due to VTE than to Orca. I'm considering using a console screen reader just in gnome-terminal and disabling Orca for that when I need to use a console editor. Otherwise, I'm not sure what Orca can do, since it can't really switch scripts based on the presence of console apps (that I know of anyway.)

I'd like to see what might be done with Kakoune once I figure out how to get *its* cursor tracking working. Shell commands get access to things like the current selection, so it might be possible to pipe that through Orca's HTTP speech interface to speak selection changes as Emacspeak does. Then you'd have a somewhat more friendly console editing expierience, albeit only from Kak. My biggest Vim issue is that Orca can't know about its selection, so it's hard to intelligently speak with the level of depth that something like Emacspeak does by virtue of having access to the entire document. It's probably possible to improve that with plugins, but learning Vimscript hasn't been something I've invested lots of effort into, and I haven't explored writing Neovim plugins over its msgpack interface.