[orca-list] Kakoune editor and Orca

http://kakoune.org/

I'm playing with this new console code editor and am having some issues. The biggest is that Orca doesn't seem to track the cursor when it moves. I can enter text, but it isn't read when I arrow around, nor does my review cursor end up near the text when I review what I've written. It seems to land near the status line. Unfortunately the default status line is a bit chatty, which I fixed by eliminating outputting the line/column position of the cursor, but that didn't eliminate the cursor issue.

Were I to file an issue against Kakoune, since this does seem like a Kak and not an Orca problem, what should I tell them to change so Orca can track the cursor?

Kak also offers hooks that run shell commands, along with retrieving lots of information on the buffer. If it's just a matter of outputting ANSI escape sequences or something to change where Orca/VTE perceives the cursor to be, maybe I can write an accessibility helper. I'm thinking of experimenting with doing that anyway, so selection changes and such get piped to Orca, and maybe we can have a better console editing experience without having to switch to a VT or use Speakup. Nothing wrong with either, it'd just be fewer context switches.