Re: [orca-list] Exception: SettingsManager._loadBackend failed

Hello,

Joanie is on a business trip so she may not be able to look into this immediatelly. In the mean time, I'll try to come up with some steps you might follow in order to troubleshoot this.
You are correct orca stores its settings in json encoded file.
The exception you have posted indicates there is a problem with a file
/usr/local/lib/python3.3/site-packages/orca/backends/json_backend.py
or there is something else missing when trying to import that file.

Note orca even did not tried to initialize that module it just tried to import it.

You might like to run these three lines one after the other to find out why the module can't be imported via python.
So first start python by just running
python
in the terminal.
Make sure it's python3.3.

Now copy and paste each line at a time and observe the python output where it breaks and what you might be missing.
# start copying line at a time below
import importlib
import orca
importlib.import_module('.backends.json_backend', 'orca')
# don't copy this and below

Still if there is nothing usefull printed, that json_backend module imports additional modules.
You can test if you can import them all.

from json import load, dump
import os
from orca import settings, acss

I am sorry I haven't got a more straight forward solution, hopefully this will at least serve you as a good hint.

Let us know how you get on with this and ask more if you need.

Greetings

Peter